Last updated 10/20/2021
USC STAFF RETIREMENT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING
Friday, April 21, 2017 – 10:00 am, URC102
Present: Janette Brown, Fred Dear, Linda Forman, Connie Horak, Mike Klineman, Calvin Lau, Dick Martin, Howard Saperston, Harriet Servis, Donna Simmons, Lynn Williams
Absent: Bob Church, David Donovan, Sally Emerson, Dixon Johnson, Bill Givens, Jill Hopkins, Art Ochoa, Jo Ochoa
Others Present: None
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 10:15 AM.
Minutes: Minutes of the February 17, 2017 were approved as corrected. Moved, Dick Martin; Seconded, Donna Simmons; Passed
- Mike Klineman praised all SRA volunteers for their dedication and the wonderful work they do to provide great programming and services for SRA and the university.
- Treasurer’s report: Dick circulated a detailed financial analysis of all income and expenses for the current fiscal year, as of 4/20/2017. The USC Credit Union accounts total $25,455.09 with $11,768.09 in the checking account. The SRA share of the Endowment Account is $56,175.94 (annual earnings rate = 4.50%). Year to date for 2016-17 total funds received for dues, endowment and gifts are $13,835.
- As of 1/17/2017 we had 290 renewals/new members for 2016-17 (plus 133 joint members) with 72 2016 delinquents. In addition, we have 120 new gold card retirees who received their first year of SRA membership free. Three (3) members renewed beyond 2017, and we have 162 Life Members.
Vice President’s Report Hospitality and Programs/Connie Horak, Harriet Servis, and Donna Simmons:
- The Retiree Luncheon was well received. Town and Gown is a beautiful setting, and the center pieces perfectly accented the event. As always there were several “no shows”. Plenty of volunteers were available the day of the event for setting up, checking in and greeting. The newsletter article describing the event is already written, and will be in the next issue. Letters to supporters of the Retiree Luncheon are out. SRA came in below budget.
- The SRA General Meeting which includes the alternate year election of SRA officers will be held on June 16, 2017 at the new Glorya Kaufman School of Dance (located next door to the University Religious Center). SRA Board Members addressed invitations during the Board Meeting. After the brief SRA business meeting, Jeff de Caen President of the Staff Assembly (SA) will present an overview of the Glorya Kaufman School of Dance, along with some videos about construction of the Glorya Kaufman buildings. There will be a tour of the new facility.
- The 2017 SRA Holiday breakfast is scheduled for Friday, December 1, 2017. Farmer Fuller, whose musical presentations by USC students are a highlight of the event, receives funding from SRA that helps support his programs for USC students.
- Some locations for future general meetings were shared. USC Village opens in August Connie has contacted Don Stimmler about using it as venue for the September meeting.
- Calvin Lau is currently interim President for the Retired Faculty Association (RFA). The RFA Board is reviewing all governing documents. Work proceeds to develop dedicated committees to support each of the significant RFA activities, including an update of rules and procedures to develop and recruit a pre-retirement membership.
- The RFA Board meeting date is the second Friday of each month. The RFA Executive Committee meets before each RFA Board meeting, except May (so as not to interfere with commencement).
- Elections for the RFA Board will be held in March. Calvin Lau has been nominated to serve as President, Jerry Walker as Vice President, Jack Sanders as Secretary, and John Casagrande as web master. A permanent treasurer is still needed.
- RFA members have reported problems with obtaining Gold Cards for their spouses (as have SRA members).
- The Provost has asked for nominations from RFA for retired faculty to hold positions on some university committees.
- The RFA Board is consolidating focus on outreach to newly retired faculty, its Sherry Hour programs and the USC Caldwell Scholarship. A luncheon was held for Caldwell Scholars. The RFA newsletter will contain more detail.
Staff Assembly Report/David Donovan (absent):
- This month’s Staff Assembly (SA) program was held at the Health Science Campus.
- David noted that a smoke free university wide program will be implemented shortly.
Internet/Web Site Content/Donna Simmons:
- The EC, RFA and SRA web sites are being actively updated. We need volunteers to review the changes. Please go to the following web site: https://emeriti.usc.edu/ (and the links to SRA). Review for appearance, ease of use and content. Email suggested changes to the web sites to John Casagrande at email@example.com with copies to Janette Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org and the EC staff at email@example.com.(absent)
Benefits and Resources/Dixon Johnson(absent):
- More retirees are needed to participate on the Benefits and Resources committee. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month. See Janette’s report for updates.
Special Events/Dick Martin and Bill Givens:
- The SRA initially reserved 60 tickets (at the reduced price of $8) for the April 1, 2017 matinee performance of the School of Dramatic Arts spring musical Evita and eventually ended up with 95 tickets (15 more than last year). The Board plans to let the dean and provost know how much we enjoyed the show and to stress that this type of intergenerational activity is good for all (retirees, employees, students and the general community. SRA subsidized the six no shows
- A tour of the Los Angeles Asia museum is being organized. Details will be available on the EC web site. Suggested transportation for the tour is the Metro rail to the Memorial Park Station in Pasadena.
- Additional suggestions for special events include: a tour of the pipe organ at Disney Hall, a request by Christine Shade for a tour of a recycling facility (aka “Blue Bin”), a tour of the Los Angeles Federal Reserve Bank, a tour of the Holocaust Museum at Fairfax Park, a visit to the Broad Museum followed by lunch at the family style restaurant next door; a small-group visit to the early California arts collection at the Jonathon Club hosted by member Mary Lane and organized by Harriet Servis, repeat of docent led tour of the Metro red line art displays, and an LA Coliseum tour sometime this spring.
Emeriti Center/Janette Brown:
- Our student assistants are housed in URC 103. Emails to Janette Brown and/or the Emeriti Center (EC) should also be copied to the student workers at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that they can more effectively help Janette.
- This spring’s Emeriti Center Newsletter is in development. Articles should be submitted as soon as possible.
- Janette developed a letter to EC members and other individuals interested in supporting the EC to be distributed during the university’s May annual funding drive requesting donations. The EC is now being treated at the Development Office on a par with other USC schools.
- Occupational Therapy will host a workshop from noon to 1:30 pm on May 24, 2017.
- Physical therapy will host a workshop in August.
- Conversations continue about setting up a “First Fridays” program in coordination with Information Technology, establishing a time when anyone can bring in computers and devices and get help.
- The EC is purchasing a new little lap top, screen and projector.
- SRA and RFA members who are having problems with their gold card or their significant other’s gold card, should email Keri and copy Janette requesting assistance.
- All SRA members (and RFA members) should send texts or emails or letters of praise for customer service, in any area of USC or the EC, directly to Janette so she can communicate support to administrations on behalf of the employee(s).
Emeriti College/Janette Brown:
- The Emeriti College is currently in limbo. The volunteer position of Director for the College is open. A volunteer is needed who can spend five (5) to ten (10) hours per week organizing and managing the Emeriti college. The EC web site has many details concerning Emeriti College programs available to all. See the web site at http://emeriticollege.usc.edu/.
- Review of By-Laws:
- The current SRA By-Laws, with suggested changes, were distributed.
- A few additional changes were requested by the SRA Board. The updated By-Laws, with all accepted changes, will be posted on the SRA web page.
- Donna Simmons moved to present the By-Laws revisions to the General Membership for approval at the June 16, 2017 General Meeting. Connie Horak seconded. The motion was approved. The proposed By-Laws, with changes, will be posted to the SRA website.
- The SRA Board of Directors nominating committee (chaired by Dixon Johnson) for the July 1, 2017-June 30, 2019 term, will present the following slate of officers to the SRA General Membership for approval. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor.
President Michael Klineman
Vice President Connie Horak
Treasurer Dick Martin
Secretary Linda Forman
- Mike asked the Board to help recruiting new members to the Board. A list of members will be circulated to the Board so each member can choose one or more people to invite to visit a Board meeting.
Future Meeting Dates:
- To be updated
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 12:02 pm.
Recorded by Linda K. Forman