- This event has passed.
Volunteer at L.A. Works’ MLK Day of Service 2022
January 17, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Last updated 01/05/2022
In just a couple weeks, L.A. Works is continuing their annual tradition of uniting Angelenos in service to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. On Monday, January 17, L.A. Works invites you to join them virtually for a day of volunteering centered around education equity and the academic achievement gap. The MLK Day of Service will be a multi-platform event. You’ll be able to choose your service adventure, with several ways to volunteer:
LAUSD students have returned to the classroom after a year of remote learning, but it is estimated that students are currently between 4 to 12 months behind. Students of color are more likely to be further behind than their white peers. Virtual projects will focus on developing the skills and resources needed for improved education equity.
- Support our Amazing Educators – Monday, Jan. 17, 2022 (9am – 10am PST): Support our educators who have shown dedication to the profession, especially considering the flexibility they have shown while educating children in the middle of a pandemic. Volunteers will hear from local teachers about the issues they have faced in the pandemic and participate in an online school supply drive. Sign up here.
- Become a Virtual Tutor – Monday, Jan. 17, 2022 (10:30am – 12:45pm PST): The past two years have exacerbated existing educational inequities, with many students suffering from significant learning loss. Only 50% of students test proficiently in English and 40% test proficiently in math. Students who fall behind often never catch up. The path to improving these numbers is through mentoring, confidence-building, and extra instruction, which is where you come in! Take the first steps towards becoming an online tutor and mentor by being fast-tracked through the onboarding process with Step Up Tutoring. Sign up here.
- Share Your Experiences with Students – Monday, Jan. 17, 2022 (1:30pm – 3:30pm PST): Share your professional experiences and provide advice to students and parents. Your professional and life experiences can inspire a scholar to pursue a career that they have yet to consider or solidify their interest in a career path! Sign up here.
Project Leaders Wanted
There’s more than one way to participate in L.A. Works’ MLK Day of Service. They’re always looking for project leaders to help keep their events running smoothly! Take a look at some of their project leader opportunities below.
- Lead Opportunity Fair Panel Discussions – Monday, Jan. 17, 2022 (1pm – 3:30pm PST): Join L.A. Works on MLK Day and lead virtual, interactive opportunity fair panel discussions! You will guide volunteers through sharing their professional experiences to students and parents at their virtual opportunity fair. Sign up here.
- January 17, 2022
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Event Category:
- Partner Events
- Event Tags:
- education, L.A. Works, Martin Luther King Jr., MLK, MLK Day, Social Justice, volunteer, Volunteer Opportunities
20th Annual TARFEST 2023June 10 @ 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
How to Sustainably Cool a Warming WorldJune 26 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every day that begins at 12:00 pm, repeating indefinitely
Assignment : Earth Solutions for a Sustainable FutureOctober 17 @ 10:30 am - 5:00 pm