Last updated 10/18/2021
USC STAFF RETIREMENT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING
Friday, October 19, 2018
10:00 pm-12:00 pm
University Religious Center 102
The meeting was called to order by the President, Mike Klineman at 10:07 am.
Present: Evelyn Alva, Gretchen Anderson, Janette Brown, Linda Forman, Bill Givens, Connie Horak, Mike Klineman, Calvin Lau, Dick Martin, Harriet Servis, Donna Simmons*, Victor Webb
Absent: Karen Ammons, Fred Dear, David Donovan, Jill Hopkins, Dixon Johnson, Lynn Williams, Debbie Wong
Guest: Audrey Hale
Welcome and Remarks – Michael Klineman
- As always, Mike warmly greeted members of the Board. Big event coming up next and then introduced our new AROHE Executive Assistant Audrey Hale.
Approval of minutes from July meeting – Linda Forman
- The August 17, 2018 minutes were approved as read. Moved: Connie Horak; Seconded: Gretchen Anderson.
Financial Report and Data Management, and Membership Recruitment and Renewals – Dick Martin
- Treasurer’s report: Dick circulated a detailed financial analysis of all income and expenses for the current fiscal year, as of 10/18/2018. The USC Credit Union accounts total $34,775.68 with $20,979.68 in the checking account. The SRA share of the Endowment Account is $60,009.78 (annual earnings rate = 4.50%). Year to date for 2018-19 total funds received for dues, endowment and gifts are $11,390. As of 10/17/2018, we have 257 2018-19 paid renewals, 155 life members and 143 joint members. In addition, we have 146 new gold card retirees who received their first year SRA membership free. Three (3) members renewed beyond 2018.
- Motion: Delete delinquent 2017 members from SRA data base. Moved: Gretchen Anderson; Seconded: Linda K. Forman. Passed with one nay.
- The endowment balance has not yet been updated for fiscal 2018-19 by the University.
Staff Assembly – Bill Givens
- Report tabled until next meeting. Connie Horak will be picking up position from Bill Givens, effective July 2018.
RFA – Calvin Lau
- The RFA Distinguished Lecture yesterday was very well received.
- The Retired Faculty Association (RFA) treasurer is reviewing financial structure and recommending updates.
- Membership structure is under review. Looking to reach out to faculty earlier in their careers, before retirement.
- Caldwell Scholars and Distinguished Speaker Series remain the main activities of RFA.
Programs and Hospitality – Connie Horak, Harriet Servis and Donna Simmons
- The Friday, September 28, 2018 SRA General Meeting, held at Michelson Hall, was a joint meeting of the Staff Retirement Association (SRA) and the Retired Faculty Association (RFA) was held at Michelson Hall. Professor William Celis presented on the topic “Fake News and American Journalism”.
- In honor of the 40th anniversary of the Emeriti Center, the December 2018 Holiday Party will be held on Monday, December 10, 2018 as a an upbeat, fun, celebratory luncheon. It will remain at Town and Gown. A large, de facto committee is offering input on the celebration detail. The committee will meet mostly on the web, either by email or conference services. The program will be extensive, so we will not have the usual student performances. A medley of holiday songs will be played as background music. Jerry Walker’s Oceanaire’s Barber Shop Quartet will be invited to perform on the patio, before lunch. Motion: Approve $400 honorarium, moved: Harriet Service, seconded Evelyn Alva, carried. Motion: For the 40th anniversary luncheon, increase size of invitation card to be mailed. Moved: Gretchen Anderson; seconded, Linda K. Forman, carried. A cart and driver will be hired from Town and Gown to transport retirees from the parking structure. A tent will be set up in the patio area for donations of gently used business clothing. An historical slide show will be projected on a large screen monitor in the foyer. RSVP at ly/EC40thAnniversary
- Looking for ideas for the SRA June 2018 General Meeting. Donna is suggesting a tour of University Church next door to the University Religious Center.
Emeriti Center –Janette Brown
- Mike Klineman and Victor Webb attended the AROHE conference. A link to conference materials will be available on the EC website.
- The Living History Project needs a sponsor (director), to recruit participants and coordinate recorded interviews.
- Contact the EC if you need the form for a new or replacement gold card.
- Programs under consideration:
- Assisting future and new retirees with financial planning. Important to use speakers who are objective and familiar with non-profit organizations’ employee programs and are non-biased in approach.
- A security workshop focusing on both personal and cybersecurity.
- Widows and widowers group conversation and free lunch
- Emeriti College program by Bill Givens on writing and publishing a book.
- Upcoming programs:
- Medicare Part D Coverage updates
- Medicare Part D Individual 1 hour consultations
- Provost’s Faculty Retirement Luncheon
- “Happy End” – Fall Musical
- USC Emeriti Center 40th Anniversary Celebration
- 3rd Annual USC Interprofessional Health Symposium
- More information can be found on the Emeriti Center website at https://emeriti.usc.edu/ or by sending an email to: email@example.com
Emeriti Center Benefits & Resources Committee- Connie Horak
- No report
Special Events- Bill Givens
- Bill is planning a tour of The Last Bookstore, a huge facility downtown, with lunch to follow at Grand Central Market. He is looking toward using a bus from the University Park Campus for a big group tour. Information about the local can be found at the store’s web site, lastbookstorela.com/. The tours will be perhaps in January or February. Bill will pick a couple of dates as possibilities.
- Federal Reserve Tour is another option open to SRA, although the number of attendees is capped at 30.
- USC Archeology Visit of Dr. Lynn Swartz Dodd’s archeology lab and collections.
- A Walt Disney Concert Hall Organ tour is still being researched. A compatible date remains a problem.
Adjournment at 12:15 pm
Minutes taken by: Linda Forman