The University recently announced that it will be switching to SentinelOne Endpoint Detection and Response as its official antivirus software to protect your computer against malware and other security risks. The current antivirus software, Sophos, expired on June 15.
SentinelOne For Personal Devices
SentinelOne endpoint security software is designed to detect, remove, and prevent the spread of malware and other security risks. This section contains information on the versions of SentinelOne available at USC and instructions on installing the software.
SentinelOne is intended to protect five (5) personal devices running Windows, Mac or Linux Operating Systems and is available to all USC students, faculty, and staff.
Downloading SentinelOne Installers
To prevent potential conflicts with system resources (memory, CPU, network), please uninstall Sophos Home prior to installing SentinelOne.
Download SentinelOne to protect five (5) personal devices:
- Visit https://usc.cyberforcesecurity.com
- Sign in with your USC NetID account. If you are logged into your computer with a local school account: ie: schoolname.usc.edu, you will need to login using another browser or an incognito page to access the above link, again using your USC NetID as the login. (If you receive an error message that says, “We could not sign you in, please contact your administrator,” contact USC ITS at 213-740-5555 to be added to the list)
- Authenticate with Duo 2FA via your preferred method
- Read the terms and click I Accept and then click Submit.
- Click Copy Token to Clipboard and save/paste that token to a text file. Click the operating system (OS) of the device that you would like to install SentinelOne on. You will be redirected to a USC SharePoint site to download the software. Please use your USC NetID email (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) to access the download site.
If you are using a Mac, you may get a message that says “needs authorization” once you click on the SentinelOne icon in your menu bar. To solve this, please follow the instructions below.
- Open the System Preferences window from the Apple menu.
- Click Security & Privacy, and select the Privacy tab.
- Click the lock to make changes.
- In the left pane, click Full Disk Access.
- Click the + icon, use Command+Shift+G and navigate to /Library/Sentinel/sentinel-agent.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
- Select the sentineld, sentineld_helper, and sentinel_shell applications
- Click the lock icon to prevent further changes and then close System Preferences.
- If you see an error message, please trace back your steps and ensure you have followed all directions.
- Complete the installation and reboot your machine.
Installing SentinelOne on a Personal Device
Once you have downloaded SentinelOne on your personal device, visit the Install Instructions for SentinelOne for information on how to install the software.
Uninstalling SentinelOne on a Personal Device
Please visit the Uninstall Instructions for SentinelOne for information on how to uninstall the software.
If you have any questions on the SentinelOne download or install process on your personal device, contact our partner at email@example.com via your USC email.