- This event has passed.
Earthquake Preparedness During a Pandemic
September 25, 2020 @ 12:00 pm
Last updated 06/01/2022
Be prepared for the GREAT SHAKEOUT!
Last month, Steven Goldfarb, USC Fire Safety and Emergency Planning Specialist, presented about earthquake preparedness. Since we are all currently spending more time at home due to the pandemic, it’s important to have the necessary emergency materials and that your home is safe for an earthquake. Mr. Goldfarb reviewed the earthquake hazards specifically in Southern California and discussed in-depth how to protect yourself in the incidence of an earthquake.
The recording is provided below.
Presentation slides can be viewed here.
- Learn about the Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety. This includes everything from how to secure items in your home to what to put into a disaster kit.
- Watch the Great ShakeOut Earthquake Safety Video Series.
- Maintain a personal emergency kit in your office and home with a flashlight, batteries, AM/FM radio, small first aid kit and personal items.
- Bolt tall bookcases and other large items to a wall to prevent toppling in an earthquake. For assistance with on campus locations contact FMS.
- Ensure all important data in your workplace and home are electronically backed up and all vital paper records are protected.
- Take steps to protect your family and home from harm in an earthquake. This may include developing a family disaster plan, obtaining a home emergency kit, and mitigating hazards in your home environment. Information is available at www.shakeout.org and www.earthquakecountry.org.
We hold Intergenerational Zoom Learning Sessions on the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month. If you would like to receive email updates about these events, sign up here: usc-emeriti-center-zoom-learning-sessions/