USC STAFF RETIREMENT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING
Friday, August 18, 2017
University Religious Center 102
The meeting was called to order by the President, Mike Klineman at 10:05 am.
Present: Janett Brown, Linda Forman, Jill Hopkins, Mike Klineman, Dixon Johnson, Bill Givens, David Donovan, Harriet Servis, Donna Simmons, Victor Webb Lynn Williams
Absent: Dick Martin, Connie Horak, Fred Dear, Calvin Lau, Victor Webb
Guests: Barbara Curtis, and Evelyn Alva
Welcome and Remarks – Michael Klineman
- Introduced guests. Board Members shared brief bios with the guests who are potential new SRA members, as is Pam Wallace-Thompson who has visited in the past.
Approval of minutes – Linda Forman
- The July and August 2017 minutes will be presented for approval at the October 2017 meeting.
Financial Report – Dick Martin
- Treasurer’s report: Dick circulated a detailed financial analysis of all income and expenses for the current fiscal year, as of 8/17/2017. The USC Credit Union accounts total $34,976.52 with $21,268.39 in the checking account. The SRA share of the Endowment Account is $56,175.94 (annual earnings rate = 4.50%). Year to date for 2016-17 total funds received for dues, endowment and gifts are $13,835. As of 4/19/2017 we had 290 renewals/new members for 2016-17 (plus 134 joint members), 257 2017-18 renewals with 43 2016 delinquents. In addition, we have 121 new gold card retirees who received their first year of SRA membership free. Six (6) members renewed beyond 2018, and we have 159 Life Members.
RFA – Calvin Lau
- Calvin Lau has been elected President of the Retired Faculty Association. The position of Treasurer remains open. The RFA continues its ongoing discussions of strategic direction.
Programs and Hospitality – Donna Simmons
- The September 2017 SRA General Meeting will be held at the new home for the Marshall School of Business, Jill and Frank Fertitta Hall, located on UPC near Exposition and Figueroa. The tour is scheduled for 11:30 am, followed by a box lunch in the Fertitta Hall cafeteria. Choices will include Chinese chicken salad, steamed dumplings or a sandwich. The Board discussed options for directional signage and cart transportation. The Board was leaning toward paying USC hospitality to provide the services.
- The annual Holiday Brunch is scheduled for Friday, December 8, 2017 at 9:00 am in Town and Gown.
- For future meetings, we are exploring a USC Village tour. Other proposals include a talk by USC basketball coach Andy Enfield (great speaker!) and a tour of the Galen Center, which has meeting rooms and parking.
Emeriti Center – Janette Brown
- Check the EC website for an Occupational Therapy workshop – Finding Balance in Everyday Life.
- USC Emeriti College Fall 2017 Course – Climate Change: Join USC Professor Tom Flood in this intergenerational and interactive course: Climate Change: Where Are We and Where Do We Go from Here? 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM (Light refreshments, bring your lunch!) Tuesdays in October through November 14 (skipping October 17)
- Tagged Climate Change, Lecture Distinguished Lecture: “The Latino Middle and Upper Classes: Mobility, Identities, Mobilization” Oct 13
- Join us for the USC Retired Faculty Association and the USC Emeriti Center’s intergenerational & interactive presentation with Jody Agius Vallejo, Associate Professor, Sociology/American Studies & EthnicityFriday, October 13, 2017 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- September/October 2017 Retiree Community Newsletter is Out! The USC Emeriti Center October 2017 Newsletter highlights events, opportunities for service and more.
Emeriti Center Benefits & Resources Committee
- No report. Dixon Johnson was absent from the most recent meeting.
Staff Assembly – David Donovan and Bill Givens
- David Donovan is now Staff Assembly (SA) past-president, SRA representative and SA secretary. The SA meeting was held at the Brain and Creativity Institute on the UPC (Cammilleri Hall), with a talk by Dr. Antonio Damasio. Bill Givens suggests Cammilleri Hall as a venue for a future SRA meeting.
Special Events – Bill Givens and Dick Martin
- A tour of the Los Angeles Times, planned by Victor Webb, has been scheduled for October 18, 2017 at 11:00 am. The tour is limited to 40 individuals, and a list of names must be made available to the Los Angeles Times 48 hours in advance of the tour. Transportation details are under development. A Wufoo form will be designed to accept reservations.
- A tour of the Walt Disney Hall concert organ is being explored by Bill Givens for some time between June and September (when the Philharmonic is on summer tour). Parking at Disney Hall is $10, although some might want to go from USC via public transportation. For a group, our size (about 60) not formally affiliated with the Concert Hall, there would be a $600 fee for two speakers (one of them the builder of the instrument). The RFA is interested in this event, too, and Janette Brown said that for a SRA/RFA joint venture the EC could cover the cost. Details later.
- Other ideas were mentioned for future events: A tour of the Asia Pacific Museum in Pasadena (two blocks from a Metro stop); El Segundo Old Town Music Hall (free parking); photo exhibit on Norway in the Union Station Lobby (right now); trip to the Federal Reserve downtown via DASH bus from UPC campus (to be researched by Dick Martin).