The university has replaced USC Web Mail (email.usc.edu) with Microsoft Office 365 (O365), a modern, online collaboration platform that provides a full-featured email system with web access, integrated calendaring, a campus contacts directory, support for mobile device access, and 25 gigabytes of storage per account.
Accessing the Outlook Web App for Office 365
The Outlook Web App (OWA) is the web-based email client for Office 365. In order to access OWA, open a supported web browser and go to www.usc.edu/office365.
Each time you go to www.usc.edu/office365, the Authentication Required screen will appear.
- In the User Name field, type your USC NetID@usc.edu (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In the Password field, type your USC NetID password.
- Click OK to open the Outlook Web App.
If you need assistance with accessing or setting up your Office 365 account, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to email@example.com.
What do I need to do to get my new Office 365 account?
Change your USC password by logging into http://mypassword.usc.edu
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
You must change your password in order to access the new email system. FYou will need to know your USC username and 10-digit USC ID number. If you do not know your 10-digit USC ID number, please contact the USC Emeriti Center at 213-740-8921
Once your email is moved, you will be able to use your new account and all new email will be delivered to your Office 365 account (accessed by going to http://www.usc.edu/its/office365/). Please note that when your account is moved to Office 365, your previous USC Web Mail account will immediately cease to be active.
After your Office 365 account has been activated, ITS will begin moving the contents of your old email account into your new Office 365 account. Depending on the volume of email in your old email account, this migration could take from several hours to a day or more. The ITS Customer Support Center will send you an email to let you know that your email migration is complete.
What about the contacts in my address book?
The contacts in your USC Web Mail address book will not be transferred automatically to your Office 365 account. You can manually enter your contacts into the new system or request that ITS help import your contacts into Office 365. To request assistance with importing your contacts, please call the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Are We Using Microsoft® Outlook®?
There are many reasons why Outlook was selected to be the primary e-mail client for The University of Southern California (USC). They include:
- Increased stability and performance
- Utilization of “cloud-based” technology while maintaining a high level of security
- A user-friendly e-mail client
- Robust Mac® support via the new Outlook 2011 client for OS X®
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) client, available for use with all major browsers
- Improved mobile support for Android®, Blackberry®, iOS® and Windows® Phone devices
- 25 GB for your mailbox, 100 GB for your personal archive and up to 25 MB attachments
Helpful Resources on How to Use Microsoft Outlook
Utilize these documents to assist you in using Microsoft Outlook. If you encounter any issues, please contact ITS at 213-740-5555.
Microsoft Outlook – All Operating Systems
- Setting email forwarding using OWA (for those who have their usc.edu email accounts forwarded to a non-USC email account.